Banani Fire: Death toll rises to 19
অ+ অ-প্রিন্ট
At least 19 people, including a Sri Lankan citizen, were killed and another 70 others wounded as a huge fire broke out at a multi-storey building at Kamal Ataturk Avenue in the city’s Banani area on Thursday.

Khurshid, Senior Station Officer (Media) of Fire Service Headquarter, confirmed this to our staff correspondent and said that "the number of the deceased rose to 19 till 8:10 pm."

Earlier, Banani police station officer in-charge Farman Ali confirmed that "7 people were killed and another 28 injured" till 5:00 pm in Thursday afternoon.

The names of the deceased are Parvez Sazzad (47), Amena Yasmin (40), Mamun (36), Abdullah Al Faruq (32), Maksudur (66), Monir (50) and Sri Lankan citizen Nirosh Chandra.

Banani police station control room said that Amena died in Apollo Hospital. Parvez Sazzad, Nirosh Chandra and Abdullah Al Faruq died in Banani Clinic, Kurmitola General Hospital and Dhaka Medical College respectively while receiving Medicare. Beside this, Mamun, Maksudur and Monir deceased in United Hospital.

Earlier, Bachchu Miah, in-charge of Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) police camp, said a man named Abdullah Al Faruq died at the hospital after he was taken there from the spot.

The fire broke out at FR Tower around 12:52pm on Thursday, Dhaka Fire Service Central Control Room Duty officer Ataur Rahman told newsman.

"Twenty firefighting units of the Dhaka Fire Service and Civil Defense are trying to douse the fire," Fire Service Central Control Room Duty officer Rasel informed.

According to the control room, several people are still trapped inside the building.

According to UNB report, many people are believed to have got trapped in the burning building while an unspecified number of panicked people suffered injuries as they jumped off its different floors for safety.

Fire service officials feared that the fire may engulf the adjoining buildings if it cannot be doused quickly.

Residents of the adjoining buildings have left their flats fearing danger as huge black fumes are coming out of the building. 

Many of the injured were taken to Kurmitola General Hospital.

Twenty firefighting units rushed in and are trying to extinguish the blaze till filing of this report around 2:33 pm.

Two helicopters of Air Force have joined the operation to assist the firefighters.

However, it is still not clear what caused the fire.

Besides, fire service members rescued 20 people from adjoining ‘Ahmed Tower’ by breaking its grills, according to a witnesses account.

Many people were also rescued by breaking the glasses of the burning building.

Witnesses said many of the trapped people took shelter on the rooftop of the building in their efforts to save themselves from the blaze.  

The media centre, set up on the stop, confirmed this before the journalists and said that “the number of the deceased rose to 16 till 7:35 pm”.


28 Mar, 2019 23:41:01